This recipe serves 8 and takes about 1 hour and 35 minutes to make (although this includes 30 minutes’ cooling time!)
- 50g Butter
- 150ml full fat milk
- 500g granulated sugar
- 400g condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Use the butter to grease a baking tray (about 2.5cm deep is best) and set it aside
- Pour the milk and granulated sugar into a large cooking pan and cook over a high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour in the condensed milk and stir constantly over a low heat for around 20-25 minutes or until the mixture thickens
- Once the mixture has thickened, turned a light brown colour and started to bubble, add the vanilla extract.
- Take it off the heat and stir at a fast pace for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture thickens further and starts to turn brown. At this point, it should start sticking to the wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the greased tray and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut the tablet into bite-sized pieces with a sharp knife and leave to cool for a further 5-10 minutes.
- It should now be cool enough to remove from the tray, so put the tablet on a plate of your choice and enjoy!